Sweetened Cranberry Puree
Sweetened Cranberry Puree is delicious blended with whipped cream or Italian meringue for an elegant fruit mousse. Add a touch of whipped silken tofu for excellent flavor and texture. The great thing about making your own Sweetened Cranberry Puree is that you can take advantage of the thickening power of the fruit’s own pectin.
Source:Cape Cod Cranberry Growers' Association
3 cups frozen whole cranberries
¼ cup water
2 cups sugar
fresh lemon juice (¼ lemon)
- Measure cranberries and place in a saucepan with ¼ cup water and cook over low heat until cranberries are soft. Simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree cranberries into a smooth liquid with a thick consistency.
- Transfer back into saucepan and simmer for about 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add the sugar and cook on medium heat to dissolve. The mixture will turn completely liquid at this stage.
- Turn up heat and bring mixture to rolling boil. Stir constantly. Let boil for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Squeeze juice of ¼ lemon directly into puree. Mix completely.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- See Cranberry Mousse recipe
- Serve as an ice cream topping
- Add it to the center of thumbprint cookies
- Spread between two layers of cake for a surprisingly tart filling