Fall Bounty Fruit Pie
Source:Sherry Rougeau, Osterville, Massachusetts
½ C Tub margarine (not “light”) softened
1 C Packed brown sugar
1 C Flour
1 C Rolled oats
1 ½ t Ground cinnamon
¾ C Chopped walnuts
1 T Milk
Pie Dough (Pate Brisee)
1 ¼ C Flour
1 t Sugar
½ t Salt
¼ C (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
¼ C Canola oil
2 – 4 T Cold water
2 C Fresh cranberries
4 C Fresh or frozen peeled, pitted peaches, cut into 1” slices
2 t Lemon juice
½ C Sugar
1 t Ground cinnamon
2 T Cornstarch
- In a medium bowl, combine the margarine, brown sugar, flour, rolled oats, cinnamon and walnuts using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal; set aside.
- In a small dish, whisk together the egg and milk to make a glaze; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt with a pastry blender.
- Blend in butter and oil until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 2T cold water and blend; add more water, 1 T at a time until mixture holds together (do not over mix).
- Form dough into a ball; flatten in to a disc shape.
- Wrap in wax paper and chill, at least, 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out refrigerated dough to a ¼-inch thickness circle, about 14 inches in diameter.
- Drape dough over a 10-inch pie plate; trim edges; set aside excess dough.
- Crimp edges with a fork or your fingers.
- Refrigerate pie plate for about 30 minutes (while assembling fruit filling).
- In a large bowl, combine cranberries, peaches and lemon juice; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch. Add to fruit mixture; mix well.
- Fill refrigerated pie shell with fruit filling; sprinkle topping evenly over fruit. (If desired, re-roll excess pie dough to ¼-inch thickness and cut out small shapes for top and/or edges of pie; attach with glaze mixture.)
- Apply glaze with a pastry brush to visible pastry dough.
- Bake on center rack of pre-heated 425◦F oven for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 350◦F and continue baking for 30 to 40 more minutes or until fruit is bubbly and crumb topping is golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy warm topped with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. Bon appetite!