Cranberry Swirl Bread
1½ cups white whole wheat flour
¾ cup cool water
pinch of instant yeast
All of the Starter
2 cups white whole wheat flour *
¼ cup all purpose flour **
½ teaspoon instant yeast
¼ cup evaporated milk
3 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup dried sweetened cranberries
½ cup white sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, water, and yeast together. Stir until smooth. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight, or at least 6 hours.
- Combine the starter, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, egg, evaporated milk, honey, yeast, salt, and lemon zest in a mixing bowl.
- Mix on low to medium speed until the dough is smooth and pulls back when gently tugged on, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the softened butter while mixing on low speed until the dough is elastic and cleans the bowl.
- Add the cranberries in last and mix on low just until incorporated.
- Allow the dough to ferment for 1.5 to 2 hours or until doubled.
- Mix the sugar, spices, and flour together until well incorporated; set aside until needed.
- Combine the egg with the water in a separate bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- To assemble the bread: Gently deflate the dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface to approximately 8" x 18".
- Lightly egg wash the surface and sprinkle evenly with the sugar spice filling, leaving one of the short ends without filling to seal the bread roll.
- Beginning at the short end with filling, roll up towards the opposite end, but do not roll too tightly or too loosely.
- Once at the opposite end, seal the roll by pinching the unfilled end to the outer side of the roll; pinch the sides of the bread together to keep the filling from melting out during baking.
- Place the bread roll in a greased 9" x 5" bread pan and cover lightly with plastic wrap.
- Allow to proof for approximately 2 hours or until the dough crests over the top of the pan by about 1".
- Bake in a pre-heated 375°F oven for about 30 to 35 minutes. The crust will be deep brown but not burned, and the internal temperature will register 195F on a quick-read thermometer.
- Remove the bread from the pan immediately after removing from the oven and allow bread to cool on a cooling rack.
* Regular whole wheat flour can be substituted for white whole wheat flour
** If using all purpose flour in place of white whole wheat flour, liquids may need adjusting.