A tart spin on a classic Greek dessert.
Source:Cape Cod Cranberry Growers' Association
1 pound phyllo pastry sheets
3-4 sticks unsalted butter, melted
4 cups walnuts, chopped
1 cup almonds, chopped
1 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ t ground clove
1 cup sugar
1 cup honey
2 cups water
1 cup frozen cranberry juice concentrate
1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
1 slice of orange peel
- In a bowl mix together nuts, sugar, and spices.
- Butter a 14x9 inch pan.
- Place sheets of phyllo in the pan buttering each sheet evenly with butter.
- When 10 sheets are in place, spread 1/3 of the mixture over the top sheet.
- Place another 4 buttered sheets over the nut mixture, sprinkle with another third of the mixture, and repeat with 4 buttered sheets and the final third of the nut mixture.
- Spread remaining phyllo sheets on top, buttering each sheet.
- With a sharp knife score the baklava into squares or diamonds.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 25 minutes, reduce heat to 300°F and continue to bake for an additional 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and pour cool syrup over the hot baklava.
- Combine in a saucepan bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Can be made a day ahead