Poached Pears in Cranberry Raspberry Juice
This elegant plated dessert is perfect for special occasions. It’s beautiful presentation and light flavor is a wonderful end to a special-occasion dinner. The cranberry raspberry cinnamon and clove poaching liquid infuses a well-blended flavor directly into the pears. Reduce the poaching liquid, thicken with arrowroot, and you have an intensely sweet-tart sauce that brings out the delicate flavor of the pear.
1 tablespoon lemon juice
bowl of cold water, enough to cover pears
4 Bosc Pears, peeled and cored but left whole
64 ounces cranberry raspberry juice drink
1 cup sugar
2 cinnamon Sticks
10 cloves, whole
8 ounces marscapone cheese
½ cup walnuts, chopped
1½ teaspoons arrowroot (for thickening poaching liquid)
- Gather all ingredients.
- Add 1tablespoon lemon juice to bowl of cold water (enough to cover pears).
- Peel and core pears and quickly put into lemon water to prevent browning.
- Pour 64 ounces of cranberry raspberry juice drink into 3 quart pot, add sugar, cinnamon sticks, and cloves; bring to boil, then reduce to simmer (no movement in liquid, just steam). Water should be approximately 190°F.
- Add pears to hot liquid. They will float. Cover with aluminum foil submerged just below the liquid to keep pears beneath the surface.
- Let pears simmer for approximately 25 minutes, or until the tip of a knife slides easily into the softened pear. Do not overcook.
- Remove pears with slotted spoon and place on plate covered with paper towels. Let cool to room temperature.
- Return liquid to pot and reduce to about 3 cups (approximately 1 hour).
- Thicken with arrowroot. (Place 1 ½ teaspoons of arrowroot in a bowl, and slowly whisk in ¼ cup of cool poaching liquid. Add to remaining liquid and bring to boil. Bring to desired consistency. Let cool.)
Cranberry Walnut Mascarpone Cheese Filling
- Using a rubber spatula, mix marscapone cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, and nuts in a bowl.
- Fill cooled poached pears with filling.
Serving Suggestions: Fill inner circle of plate with thin coating of thickened, reduced poaching liquid. Place dollop of whipped cream on plate. Place filled poached pear on whipped cream. Drizzle reduced poaching liquid over pears. Garnish with Frosted Cranberries.